The VirAdha Episode

Robert Goldman rpg at CALMAIL.BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Nov 21 17:10:16 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues:

A few thoughts on the  VirAdha episode:

Adheesh is no doubt correct to read the VirAdha episode as a dramatic
foreshadowing of the central narrative and emotional moment of the
poem i.e.  SItA's fateful abduction at the hands of RAvaṇa. Both epic
poets like to reinforce or overdetermine such critical thematic
elements as we can see also in the multiple assaults on DraupadI in
the MBh at the hands of KIcaka and Jayadratha which echo, as it were
her abuse at the hands of Duryodhana and DuHZAsana.

But the episode appears to serve some other interesting functions as
well. For one thing it marks the exiled trio's passage from the
romantic, sylvan setting of CitrakUTa into the deeper, more fearsome
forests of the Daṇḍaka peopled only by monstrous, flesh-easting
rākSasas and their prey, the pious AZram-dwelling sages. Then, too it
provides the poet with another opportunity like the one afforded by
the AhalyA episode in the BAlakANDa to demonstrate that his hero,
although to all appearances a man, possesses the power to grant
salvation through the release from curses incurred as a result of
wrongful acts.

In addition, as I pointed out in an earlier article, ("RAmaH
SahalakSmaNaH" Journal of Indian Philosophy 8. 1980 pp, 149-189,
footnote 47) it affords the poet with yet another occasion to
highlight the complementary emotional responses of RAma and LakSmaNa.
Earlier, when the order of banishment is given, the latter is filled
with rage and prepares to contest it violently; but Rāma calms him and
graciously accepts his exile and loss of the throne. Later, when RAma
is provoked to fearsome rage by the abduction of SItA, it is LakSmaNa
who is the voice of calmness and constructive action,  Here,
interestingly, RAma's first reaction to VirAdha's assault is
debilitating grief and it is necessary for LakSmaNa to exhort him and
stir him from his despair and complaining to action.

As far as the comparison with Antaka, it is likely that one is reading
too much into it. This is a standard and even cliched simile in the
epic for a fearsome warrior or adversary. VAlmIki uses it dozens of
times, especially of course in the YuddhakANDa where a wide range of
figures on both sides of the war are likened to Anataka, Yama, and/or
KAla.

Finally, I think we should not over interpret the numbers used in the
passage. The poem is filled with numbers: numbers of years, numbers of
arrows, numbers of heads, numbers of rAkSasas, numbers of vAnaras
ranging from the low integers to vast astronomical numbers. If we are
to read each of these numbers as coded references to metaphysical or
cosmological concepts there would never be an end of it. Perhaps
sometimes numbers are just that, numbers.
Dr. R. P.  Goldman
Professor of Sanskrit
Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies
MC # 2540
The University of California at Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-2540
Tel: 510-642-4089
Fax: 510-642-2409