Indus signs on birch bark folio in Sultani Museum, Kabul: continuous or reinvented use?

Jan E.M. Houben j_e_m_houben at YAHOO.COM
Fri Nov 18 19:52:37 UTC 2011

Dear Steve,

As we all know from Sherlock Holmes: no crime without motive.

To the extent "forgeries" come under (artistic) crimes, I deduce that similar things apply here too.

(The situation in ancient India tends to confirm this: see Richard Salomon's article "The Fine Art of Forgery" in G. Colas and G. Gerschheimer Ecrire et Transmettre, Paris: EFEO, an online accessible summary-reference in Sheldon Pollock's review of the book in JA 2011,
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/mesaas/faculty/directory/pollock_pub/_Indian%20Philology%20and%20India's%20Philology_.pdf).

To me the motive, either financial or "pious", for a forgery carelessly placed in an almost unknown museum in Kabul (Afghanistan), is far from obvious (note the apparent dissociation of the supposed "artefact" and the "artefact-creator", the absence of any claim by the museum owner regarding the nature of the script, and, consequently, the absence of immediately obvious financial profit and even more of ideological profit to the museum owner or to the "artefact-creator") .

In defence of the student it should further be said that for her BA thesis she worked exclusively on the basis of photographs online available at the Western Himalaya Archive, Vienna. On p. 13 ff the student describes properties of the writing material which do not support anything close to the thesis of a "millennia-old" artefact, but which on the other hand do suggest oldness of the material (peeling off etc.).

So could you briefly summarize your findings on this aspect of the object for me and other readers of this list?

(I am still not getting access to the messages to which you refer so please also instruct how to sign up to your Eurasian list).

Best,

Jan