Publication Announcement (Open Access)

Andrea Acri andreaacri at MAC.COM
Sat Nov 12 17:00:19 UTC 2011

Dear list members,

I am pleased to announce the publication of the volume

>From Laṅkā Eastwards; The Rāmāyaṇa in the Literature and Visual Arts of Indonesia

edited by myself, Helen Creese and Arlo Griffiths. The volume, published by KITLV Press, is available in both traditional and digital form. The digital book can be downloaded as a .pdf file via Open Access:

http://www.kitlv.nl/book/show/1314

and also

http://www.oapen.org/search?identifier=399317

I append the table of contents below.

Kind regards,

Andrea Acri

* * *

CONTENTS

About the authors --- p. vii

Introduction --- p. xi

Part One: Old Javanese Kakawin and the Kakawin Rāmāyaṇa

1. Hymns of Praise in Kakawins; The Rāmāyaṇa and Other Examples --- p. 1
Stuart Robson

2. Poetic Conventions as Opposed to Conventional Poetry? A Place for kavisamaya-ādi in Comparative Kāvya/Kakawin Studies --- p. 11
Wesley Michel

3. Figures of Repetition (yamaka) in the Bhaṭṭikāvya, the Raghuvaṃśa, the Śiwagṛha Inscription and the Kakawin Rāmāyaṇa --- p. 25
Thomas Hunter

4. More on Birds, Ascetics and Kings in Central Java; Kakavin Rāmāyaṇa, 24.111–115 and 25.19–22 --- p. 53
Andrea Acri

5. Rāmāyaṇa Traditions in Bali --- p. 93
Helen Creese

6. The Old Javanese Kapiparwa and a Recent Balinese Painting --- p. 119
Adrian Vickers

Part Two: The Rāmāyaṇa at Caṇḍi Prambanan and Caṇḍi Panataran

7. Imagine Laṅkapura at Prambanan --- p. 133
Arlo Griffiths

8. The Grand Finale; The Uttarakāṇḍa of the Loro Jonggrang Temple Complex --- p. 149
Cecelia Levin

9. The Causeway Episode of the Prambanan Rāmāyaṇa Reexamined --- p. 179
Roy Jordaan

10. Hanuman, the Flying Monkey; The Symbolism of the Rāmāyaṇa Reliefs at the Main Temple of Caṇḍi Panataran --- p. 209
Lydia Kieven

Abbreviations --- p. 223

Bibliography --- p. 235

Index --- p. 253