Query from Hal Schiffman

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Fri May 20 15:25:47 UTC 2011

In Kannada, I have never heard or seen anything other than Muṃbai / Muṃbayi. There is also a persistant belief that Muṃbādēvi is a Kannada-speaking goddess; I have not read this anywhere, nor do I know anything about the origin of this belief, but in conversations with numerous persons throughout Karnataka I have heard this repeatedly.

RZ

--
Prof. Dr. Robert Zydenbos
Institut für Indologie und Tibetologie