Query from Hal Schiffman

Frank Conlon conlon at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Fri May 20 15:13:59 UTC 2011

Dear Hal,

On the Mumbai/Bombay front--the consensus has been that Mumbai was derived
from a local goddess Mumbadevi.  For years the folklore was that Bombay
was the Portuguese rendering which also coincided with Bom Bahia  or good
harbor.  The British adopted Bombay from the get-go and Bombay it has
remained (until changed to Mumbai officially by the influence of Shiv Sena
in its chauvinist mode--I seem to recall it was November 22, 1995.  My
recollection (not documented) was that the term Bombay became really
political in the late 1950s when the central government declined to
create separate Gujarat and Maharashtra states in the 1956 states
reorganization.  The issue was the claim of pro-Maharashtra folks that
Bombay (Mumbai) would be the capital of the state.  The 'opposition' to
this was perceived to be the 'cosmopolitan' and 'capitalist' interests,
which initially meant Gujaratis.  The fact that Gujaratis were also an
important component of the city's life and culture--and had been since the
17th century--was an inconvenient fact that was easily overlooked. The
disagreement though was not linguistic as the city had been known as
Mumbai in Marathi and Gujarati and Konkani always  so far as I know.  The
railway stations had designations of Bambai in Hindi and this also
appeared in Urdu.  (You may recall the linguistic state agitations in
South India involved attacks on post offices and trains--Indian Railways
was then, and still now, is a central and 'cosmopolitan' entity--very slow
to change.

On Chennai/Madras, I recall that in 1965-66 the inbound busses coming into
the city had Madras in English and Chennai in Tamil.  I assumed that the
official change to Chennai was part and parcel of the change to Tamilnadu
although I believe it was later.  The naming of Madras was an adaptation,
I think, of Madrasapatam--one of the hamlets by Fort St. George.  Here I
am on shaky ground and defer to Madras-wallahs.

Calcutta/Kolkata has its own history; the official change rooted in local
politics.

When Bangalore became Bengaluru the city fathers/mothers threw away what
might be called a world-recognized 'brand' in the name of Kannadiga
patriotism. One of my friends there said: "Our politicians cannot fix the
traffic problem, the water problem, the pollution problem, so they
renamed the city."

If looking at the colonial naming from the other side, of course, the
simple answer is that the British had a collective 'tin ear'--how else
could Livorno become Leghorn?  Or Kwantung become Canton?

de gustibus,

Frank

Frank F. Conlon
Professor Emeritus of History, South Asian
      Studies & Comparative Religion
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3560      USA
Co-editor, H-ASIA
Managing Director, Bibliography of Asian Studies Online