help with Sinhala script mss

Thrasher, Allen athr at LOC.GOV
Wed Mar 30 17:41:46 UTC 2011

The Library of Congress has about 20 manuscripts in Sinhala script; we have no idea whether they are in Pali, Sinhala, or Sanskrit.  They have been completely digitized in a rough and ready way (color *.jpg images with a small digital camera), but not one suitable for mounting on the Web.  Would anyone here be interested in having a look at them if I send CDs of the digital files, and perhaps, if they are not too difficult or uninteresting, filling out a simple worksheet for each, with the aim of creating from the worksheets Minimal Level Records to be put on our OPAC?

Even an authoritative identification of the language would be a boon, because we could create for each a skeleton in-process record for language, script, and physical description to notify scholars of the mss's presence.

These are NOT in Poleman's Census.

Allen

Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D.
Senior Reference Librarian and Team Coordinator
South Asia Team
Asian Division
Library of Congress
Washington, DC 20540-4810
USA
tel. 202-707-3732
fax 202-707-1724
The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress.