Fwd: Rajiv Malhotra and the Infinity Foundation

Philipp Maas phmaas at ARCOR.DE
Mon Mar 28 10:23:06 UTC 2011

Dear McComas,
I read your article on “Mythology Wars” and found it for the most part well written and informative.

I would, however, suggest considering to change the passage “we cannot deny that Oriental Studies was the handmaiden of colonialism and imperialism“ into a less general statement. As it stands, it is (at least) a gross oversimplification of the complex motives and methods of early oriental studies. I don’t know if you read Halbfass’ “India and Europe”. If not, I strongly recommend it to you. I am sure you will enjoy the reading...

All the best,

Philipp