recaka, p •uuraka , kum bhaka

Dominic Goodall dominic.goodall at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 22 09:02:07 UTC 2011

Many thanks, Christophe, for these references.

What I was hoping for was something closer in date to Kau.n.dinya’s Pa~ncaarthabhaa.sya (C4th–C6th??), which I imagine to be considerably earlier than the Yogabhaa.syavivara.na (C7th–9th??), and earlier than the passages you quote.  I was wondering whether anybody might be aware of evidence that would weaken or strengthen the hypothesis that the recaka-puura.na-kumbhaka terminology comes from a Shaiva tradition of yoga.  After Kau.n.dinya, the next passage in which the terminology occurs, it seems to me, may be chapter 4 of the Nayasuutra of the Ni"svaasatattvasa.mhitaa (C6th?), and there kumbhaka has joined recaka and puura.na.

Yours,
Dominic