Tartars in Sanskrit?

Martin Gansten martin.gansten at PBHOME.SE
Wed Mar 9 21:24:23 UTC 2011

Although I can't claim any real knowledge of the history of the name, I
do believe the first r to be a corruption, albeit a readily
understandable one (ta-tar > tar-tar, by analogy), which could have
occurred in Indian languages as well as in Latin. Tārtīya does look
rather odd, but the meaning would fit very well. Here is the snippet:

brahmadveṣituruṣkasambhavam idaṃ tārtīyakaṃ vidyate
śāstraṃ [...]

Martin