Yoga Body, a book by Mark Singleton

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 8 16:57:54 UTC 2011

No, yes, but.  :-)

What Singleton says is, as I read him, let's do a Gedanken experiment, let's
treat English "yoga" as if it were a different word than the Sanskrit, and
see whether that helps us keep things in order.  The main point he's making,
and I think he makes it adequately clearly, is that people (practitioners)
get themselves into a hissy fit over the "true" meaning of the word.  If we
just leave all that behind, and allow the English "yoga" have it's own
history and meaning, we'll introduce the historical dimension into our
thinking, and that will help.

I don't have the book to hand right now, but Singleton uses several
conditionals to make it clear that he's doing an "as if" experiment.  "If we
can agree to proceed on this basis ..." or some such phrase.