Yoga Body, a book by Mark Singleton

George Thompson gthomgt at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 8 12:00:00 UTC 2011

Look, What Singleton & Doniger have done is to sow even more confusion among
an audience that is, we all know, already very much prone to confusion.  So,
in the coming semesters I can expect to have a handful of students who will
declare very confidently that there are three different words "yoga" in the
"Vedas,"  each with three different meanings.

Even worse, there will be yoga teachers who will approach me after some talk
or lecture, village explainers who typically and rather furtively solicit
advice from me about how to pronounce this or that Sanskrit term, who will
have disseminated this misinformation to their nice, naive, serene
students.

The word "yoga" and related verbal cognates are massively attested in the
Rgveda, and their cognates in most other branches of IE [including Hittite]
are massively attested as well.  The history of this *one word* is thus
well-known even to somewhat educated people who have never taken a
linguistics course.

But it doesn't matter.  The village explainers will go about their business
undeterred, now aided and abetted by  Singleton & Doniger.  et tu, S.
Farmer?

George Thompson