bali offerings

Michael Slouber mjslouber at BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Jun 28 14:48:11 UTC 2011

Dear Prof. Rastelli,

There must be a large body of sources on bali offerings.  Here are a few on sarpabali that they may likewise be of interest regarding Prof. Jha's query.

Allocco, Amy. "Snakes, Goddesses, and Anthills: Modern Challenges and Women's Ritual Responses in Contemporary South India." Emory University, 2009.
Sathe, J. "The Rite of Sarpabali and the Feelings of Our Forefathers Towards Serpents." In Proceedings of the National Seminar on Environmental Awareness Reflected in Sanskrit Literature. 1991.
Van den Hoek, B, and B Shrestha. "The Sacrifice of Serpents. Exchange and Non-Exchange in the Sarpabali of Indrāyanī, Kathmandu." Bulletin de l'Ecole française d'Extrême-Orient 79, no. 1 (1992).
Winternitz, M. Der Sarpabali, Ein Altindischer Schlangencult. in: Mitteilungen der Anthropologischen Gesellschaft in Wien 18, 25--52 and 250--264= Kleine Schriften I, 5--32 and 33--47, 1888.

I haven't seen the following book personally, but it may be useful: Dange, S S. Hindu Domestic Rituals: A Critical Glance. South Asia Books, 1985.

Best regards,

Michael Slouber
Ph.D. Candidate
South and Southeast Asian Studies