The Indus script as proto-writing

Asko Parpola asko.parpola at HELSINKI.FI
Thu Jul 14 14:50:25 UTC 2011

Quoting "George Hart" <glhart at BERKELEY.EDU>:

> The following reply from Steve Farmer lays out his position in a
> short and lucid way.  I am posting it with his permission, as I
> think others will be interested.  I don't want this forum to become
> a locus of IV speculation, as there is no end to that, but I do
> believe it's worth summarizing some of the current thinking.
> Perhaps someone on the other side ("It is writing") could post a
> similarly clear and abridged statement of their position.  George Hart

I take up George Hart's challenge with the following reply:

The Indus script as proto-writing

Asko Parpola

It is widely agreed that the Archaic Sumerian script or
"Proto-Cuneiform" is the world's oldest writing system, used in the
Late Uruk Period (Uruk strata IV and III, c. 3400-3000 BCE).  It was
used as an administrative tool to record on clay tablets such matters
as grain distribution, land, animal and personnel management, and the
processing of fruits and cereals. "The script can be 'understood' in
some sense, but it cannot be fully read; although there has been some
doubt concerning the language that was the basis for this written
expression, there is clear evidence that it was Sumerian" (Michalowski
1996: 33).  Archaic Sumerian was logosyllabic writing because its
signs stood for elements of a spoken language, words and morphemes,
with initially rare phonetization. It was not from the beginning able
to record everything: it took many centuries of ever increasing
phonetization for this "nuclear writing" to develop into a "full
writing" where all grammatical elements were written. Yet it is
considered "true writing", because it was a language-based system of
visual aigns.
	The Egyptian Hieroglyphic writing was certainly used in Pre-Dynastic
times. The royal tomb U-j at Umm el-Qa'ab near Abydos in Upper Egypt,
dated to c 3200 BCE, contained 150 inscribed bone tags originally
attached to grave goods recording the places of origin of these goods,
as well as pottery inscriptions and sealings. These were excavated in
1988 and published ten years later (Dreyer 1998). This earliest form
of Egyptian script was already a well-formed logophonic writing
system, which can be partially understood on the basis of later
Egyptian writing. "By the early 1st Dynasty, almost all the
uniconsonantal signs are attested, as well as the use of classifiers
or determinatives, so that the writing system was in essence fully
formed even though a very limited range of material was written."
(Baines 1999: 882). "Many inscribed artifacts are preserved from the
first two Dynasties, the most numerous categories being cylinder seals
and sealings, cursive annotations on pottery, and tags originally
attached to tomb equipment, especially of the 1st Dynasty kings.
Continuous language was still not recorded" (Baines 1999: 883). Thus
until the beginning of the Old Kingdom starting with the 3rd Dynasty
in 2686 BCE — for about 600 years equalling the duration of the Indus
Civilization — the Egyptians used a language-based, phoneticized
writing system, but did not write full sentences, only very short
texts fully comparable to the surviving texts in the Indus script.
Early administrative documents are assumed to have existed but have
not survived (cf. Baines 1999: 884).
	When defining the Indus script as logosyllabic, I noted several
constraints to be observed in its analysis: "the linguistic elements
that are expected to correspond to the signs are morphemes rather than
phonemes. Secondly, all of the morphemes pronounced in the spoken
Indus language may not, and are not even likely to, have a counterpart
in its written form. In the third place, all preserved Indus
inscriptions are very short, appearing on objects like seals, which
are not so likely to contain even normal sentences, with such basic
constituents as a verbal predicate or an object, let alone complex
sentences." (Parpola 1994: 89).  This was before Damerow (1999)
suggested the term 'proto-writing' for the earliest, linguistically
incomplete notations (cf. Houston ed. 2004: 11); on these earliest
writing systems see especially Houston ed. 2004.
	In my opinion Farmer, Sproat and Witzel (2004: 19 and 33) err when
they suggest that "the Indus system cannot be categorized as 'script'
... capable of systematically encoding speech", and that it "cannot
even be comfortably labeled as a 'proto-script', but apparently
belonged to a different class of symbols."  Their principal arguments,
the shortness of Indus texts, their restriction to only a few text
types, and the long duration (c 600 years) of this stage of script
evolution, are effectively annulled by what is said above about the
early Sumerian and Egyptian scripts. For their other arguments I refer
to an earlier paper of mine (Parpola 2008).
	George Hart wrote yesterday (13 July 2011): "None of this proves or
disproves that the fish symbol might have been pronounced [in
Dravidian]  mīṉ. Steve Farmer wrote in reply (13 July 2011): Probably
one of the silliest claims ever made about the symbols, with no
evidence whatsoever to back it. My reply: there is actually a lot of
evidence to back it (see Parpola 1994: 179-272; and new evidence in
Parpola 2009). Due to a complete lack of bilinguals, it is very
difficult to verify sign interpretations, but not altogether
impossible. Perhaps the most important test stone is supplied by the
nominal compounds actually existing in languages that are historically
likely to be related to the Harappan language: these can be compared
to Harappan sign sequences that can be pictorially interpreted and
perhaps deciphered with the help of linguistically acceptable
homophonies (used in all early scripts for phonetication: the rebus
puns). The accumulation of iconically acceptable, systematic and
interconnected interpretations can eliminate chance coincidences in a
process comparable to filling cross-word puzzles.