The Indus script as proto-writing

George Hart glhart at BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Jul 14 18:03:07 UTC 2011

In reading over the interchange between Steve and Asko, I can't help wondering: if the IV civilization was in contact with other civilizations in the Near East, as it apparently was, why didn't they borrow writing from them if they had none of their own?  It seems to me -- and I admit to being naive on this point -- that writing systems spread quite readily and inevitably.  Thus Brahmi in South Asia, Phoenician in the Middle East and Europe, Chinese in East Asia, etc.  Wouldn't the IV civ. have borrowed cuneiform writing if they had none of their own?  It's hard for me to imagine that their traders came into contact with something so useful as a developed writing system and didn't either imitate it or borrow it.  George Hart