Fw: Re: [INDOLOGY] 'adolescence' in traditional India

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya200498 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jul 10 01:32:02 UTC 2011

--- On Sun, 10/7/11, Dipak Bhattacharya <dbhattacharya200498 at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Dipak Bhattacharya <dbhattacharya200498 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] 'adolescence' in traditional India
To: "AllenThrasher" <athr at LOC.GOV>
Date: Sunday, 10 July, 2011, 1:31 AM

Dear Allen,
I do not know of any Indian studies on adolescence in traditional India but you will find glimpses of the effect of the Indian family environment on the adolescent male (seconadarily female too) in the Bengali novel Pratham prahar (mid-fifties) by Ramapada Chowdhury which I read as an adolescent. myself. I do not know of any English translation. There are many stories of adolescent love in Bengali literature. Two filmed versions Balika badhu (Adolescent bride) and Shriman Prithviraj (Master Prithviraj), both directed by Tarun Majumdar, became popular all over India and shown in dubbed versions in non-Bengali languages.
Best
DB

--- On Fri, 8/7/11, Thrasher, Allen <athr at LOC.GOV>