'adolescence' in traditional India

mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU
Sat Jul 9 15:34:15 UTC 2011

Allen,

Anything in Meyer's Sexual Life in Ancient India? I haven't
looked at it in years and don't recall if or how he
deals with this.

There is, I believe, some anthropological literature
on the very category of "adolescence," which, as you
suggest, seems a construct due to delayed marriage in
industrial and post-industrial societies. I don't
have any particular references for you, but this may
be a direction worth pursuing.

Matthew

Matthew T. Kapstein
Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies
The University of Chicago Divinity School
Directeur d'études
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris