No incoming Sanskrit students at Andhra University :-(

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya200498 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jul 6 04:54:47 UTC 2011

Dear Allen,

Since I am
not aware of the official position in the Universities at present I can speak
only from personal experience.

So long as one
was in the training Institute/process (Missionary School/College or generous individual
teachers; regular teaching in the Universities was not known to me), there was
no problem. The problem arose when pursuing the study. I could purchase two
good Latin Dictionaries but none supplied me with one of Classical/Homeric
Greek.

It required
much effort and prayer to xerox a dictionary of Biblical Greek.

To prevent misconception
I must add one more information. When I left the University, it did not become
difficult for me to purchase reader-cum-grammars like Pharr’s HG or Wright’s Grammar
of the Gothic language in Calcutta. Later I could also procure copies of comparative
linguistic studies like the ones by Buck or Sturtevant (Hittite). Publications
by Faber and Faber too are available in the market. It is the dictionaries of
some rare (in India) languages that are difficult to procure.

I hope the
position is clear.

Best

DB