Adhy ātma Rāmāya a

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya200498 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Feb 18 12:09:38 UTC 2011

--- On Fri, 18/2/11, Dipak Bhattacharya <dbhattacharya200498 at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Dipak Bhattacharya <dbhattacharya200498 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] Adhyātma Rāmāya  a
To: "Rosane Rocher" <rrocher at SAS.UPENN.EDU>
Date: Friday, 18 February, 2011, 12:08 PM

18 02 11

This will not be relevant to the main enquiry about Anand
Ghan, but one might find interest in the following list of the occupants of the
second post (Nyāya). The first five names are taken from Dīneśacandra Bhaṭṭācārya’s
Vange Navya-Nyāya carcā Bangiya Sahitya Parishat, Calcutta, March-April
1952:

Candranārāyaṇa Nyāyapañcānana from Idilpur, now in Bangladesh,
1813—1833.

Kṛṣṇacaraṇa Tarkālankāra, 1833-1846, from Bengal.

Radhākānta Tarkaśiromaṇi, s/o Candranārāyaṇa Nyāyapañcānana  and “considered to be one of the most learned
in Nyāya Shaster now living” Gen.Report, N.W.P. 1846-47,p.40,

Kālīprasāda Śiromaṇi, son-in-law of Kṛṣṇacaraṇa Tarkālankāra,1847-1880.

Kailasacandra Śiromaṇi from Bengal, 1880-1907.

Dineśacandra’s list ends here. The occupant of the chair for
a short period was one Maithili scholar whose name I am not finding
immediately. After his untimely death Kailasacandra's student Vāmācaraṇa Nyāyācārya (1907-1931) hailing
from Faridpur, now in Bangladesh, occupied the Chair for Nyāya.

Some of the names of the birthplace of the scholars  in Dineśacandra’s list are not
accurate. From family records it appears that like
Vāmācaraṇa, Candranārāyaṇa too might have belonged to the village Dhanuka in
the Faridpur District, now in Bangladesh. That he sailed in a boat on the Padma
river flowing by the Faridpur district is almost a legend.

With regret for keeping occupied with a not so relevant
information

Best

DB