An Interesting Translation of the Adhy ātma R āmāyaṇa

Robert Goldman rpg at CALMAIL.BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Feb 15 20:20:26 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues,

A local gentleman, a California winemaker by profession, visited me
today to ask me about a book in his possession that had belonged to
his late grandfather.  Upon inspection I found it to be a two volume
set consisting of a handwritten English translation of the Adhyātma
Rāmāyaṇa with an introduction by one Anand Ghan who describes
himself  as "A Member of the College of Brahmins at Benares" and who
claims that he translated the text from "Sanscrit into Persian" and
"Again translated from the Persian into English".  It is dated 1804
and appears to have been purchased in India, perhaps by the
grandfather for Rs. 8.

The book is in quite good condition. The handwriting is quite clear
and the English excellent.

The owner was reluctant to leave the book with me but  I was able to
take  two images from it that I snapped with my mobile phone. One is
of the title page of the first volume and one is from a randomly
opened page to show what the text itself looks like.

I would be interested to know if any of you know anything about  Pt.
Ghan or the history of his double translation.

Best wishes.

Dr. R. P.  Goldman
Professor of Sanskrit
Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies
MC # 2540
The University of California at Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-2540
Tel: 510-642-4089
Fax: 510-642-2409