Re: OUP denies ‘censorship'

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at UNIV-PARIS-DIDEROT.FR
Thu Dec 1 10:41:08 UTC 2011

Dear Dominik,

as all the 453 signatories to the letter know,
"Le combat continue"!

See also the report:

"http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article2675513.ece"

Cheers

-- Jean-Luc

***********************************

The Hindu

LONDON, December 1, 2011

Retract apology over Ramanujan essay, academics tell OUP

Hasan Suroor

Academics protesting against the Oxford University Press' (OUP) decision
to stop publication and sale of A.K. Ramanujan's essay Three Hundred
Ramayanas are insisting that it must “retract” the apology it reportedly
issued in court to a right-wing cultural group which had demanded a ban
on the essay claiming that it hurt Hindu sensitivities.

Sheldon Pollock, the noted American Indologist leading the protest, said
on Wednesday that the OUP had “besmirched Ramanujan's reputation by
apologising in court to those who sought to ban his work.”

He also demanded “assured availability” of Ramanujan's Collected Essays
failing which the OUP must release all rights to the book, along with
the release of the Indian rights to Paula Richman's Many Ramayanas in
which the controversial essay appears.

“We expect a public retraction of the apology OUP India made in court.
We ask that OUP India demonstrate its commitment to freedom of
expression by assuring and publicly announcing the unrestricted
availability of The Collected Essays of A.K. Ramanujan. And, if it is
unwilling to offer that assurance, we demand that it relinquish all
rights to Ramanujan's book, along with the Indian rights to Richman's
Many Ramayanas and return them to the original copyright holders so that
a consortium of other Indian presses may reprint the books, as they are
prepared to do,” said Professor Pollock, Ransford Professor of Sanskrit
and Indian Studies, Columbia University, in a letter to Nigel Portwood,
chief executive of OUP, UK.

The letter was also signed by Vinay Dharwadker, Professor, Department of
Languages and Cultures of Asia, University of Wisconsin-Madison, and
General Editor of The Collected Essays of A.K. Ramanujan. It was in
response to Mr. Portwood's claim, in his reply to a previous letter from
Professor Pollock and his colleagues, that the decision to discontinue
the sale of the essay was based purely on “commercial considerations”
and not taken under pressure from right-wing protesters.

Professors Pollock and Dharwadker said that Mr. Portwood had “avoided”
the principal issues raised in their previous missive.

“According to the reports we have received, OUP India's lawyers made it
clear in court that they would not reprint the essay. Furthermore, OUP
India gave an undertaking to the Delhi University Vice-Chancellor, who
asked for one in view of the court case, that they would never reprint
the essay,” they said, demanding that OUP India must immediately issue a
full and accurate summary of the court case, its agreement with the
plaintiff, and its undertaking with the previous or current
administration of Delhi University which dropped the essay from its
syllabus following protests from some groups.

Meanwhile, OUP Delhi, in a statement, insisted that it “does not
apologise and never has apologised for publishing the essay.”

“That is wholly consistent with a statement in 2008 legal proceedings
that OUP India ‘greatly respects the plurality of Indian culture in all
publishing activities and never has any intention to hurt, insult, or
offend in any way, any religious community or popular sentiments.' OUP
India has for many decades successfully fulfilled its role as a
disseminator of the best scholarship, and continues to uphold the
highest levels of integrity,” it said.