tapase "suudram [aalabhate] in TB 3.4.1.1ff / VS 30 (was "taxonomy question")

Lubin, Tim lubint at WLU.EDU
Mon Aug 29 01:34:22 UTC 2011

tapas here ought to be understood as 'pain', 'suffering' -- e.g., from mundane labor, just as you suggest -- without the notion of ascetic discipline

Tim Lubin

From: Indology [mailto:INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 9:02 PM
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] Fwd: [INDOLOGY] taxonomy question

The following is interesting.

"10. For the priesthood he seizes a Brâhmana, for the Brâhmana is the priesthood: he thus joins priesthood to priesthood 2<http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/sbr/sbe44/sbe44111.htm#fn_1064>;--for the nobility he seizes a Râganya, for the Râganya is the nobility: he thus joins nobility to nobility;--for the Maruts (he seizes) a Vaisya, for the Maruts are the clans (peasants): he thus joins peasantry to peasantry;--
p. 410
for (religious) toil (he seizes) a Sûdra, for the Sûdra is toil: he thus joins toil to toil;"

"THE (SYMBOLICAL) VICTIMS OF THE PURUSHAMEDHA 1<http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/sbr/sbe44/sbe44111.htm#fn_1072>.
I. 1. To the priesthood (he consecrates) a Brâhmana--2. To the nobility a Kshatriya--3. To the Maruts a Vaisya--4. To penance (hardship, tapas) a Sidra--"

Why is Śūdra equated to (religious) toil/penance/tapas  - not just mundane labor? How does this relate to the ban on Śūdra performing Tapas as in the case of Śambuka in Rāmāyaṇa?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Palaniappan