Fw: [INDOLOGY] Asokan break with the past

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya200498 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Aug 21 11:44:25 UTC 2011

21 08 11

This is in continuation of my previous mail. The question of
break with the past is quite a discussed issue. One need not read Asoka’s mind
but see the effect in the centuries after and before Christ, just as one need not
read the mind of Pericles or Zarathustra to see the change in Greece or Persia
after them that had made Rhys Davids to pass his comments on the first effects
of the Iron Age in the ancient world. Since other works will not be available
to the correspondent , R.C. Hazra’s Studies in the Puranic Records of Hindu rites
and customs 207-210 along with the chapters in the CHI  (I:221) referred to therein  are advised for consultation on the
post-Asokan break in customs and relevant matter.

Best

DB