Asoka: Roads and Animals

Hans Henrich Hock hhhock at ILLINOIS.EDU
Thu Aug 18 00:41:00 UTC 2011

Dear Joanna,

Skt. sūpa : Engl. soup must be a chance similarity. The English word either directly, or through reborrowing from French (which got it from some other Germanic dialect), goes back to Germanic sources. Its relatives are said to include Engl. (to) sup and Germ. saufen 'drink (of/like an animal)'. If there were a direct relationship, either English would have to have souf, or the Sanskrit word would have to be sūba (that's because of the changes accounted for by Grimm's Law, which separate Germanic from the other Indo-European languages).

Cheers,

Hans Henrich