None

Artur Karp karp at UW.EDU.PL
Sun Aug 14 00:19:06 UTC 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Artur Karp <karp at uw.edu.pl>
Date: 2011/8/14
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY]
To: Dominik Wujastyk <wujastyk at gmail.com>

Dominik,

The image caption still says: "A pillar in Vaishali, India, displaying
edicts of Emperor Asoka (272—231 BCE)".

But another page of Wikipedia informs the reader that "The pillars
found at Vaishali (with single lion capital) and Rampurva (with bull
capital) do not bear any edict."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillars_of_Ashoka

And, I would suggest changing "animals" to either "cattle" or "farm
animals". In Aśoka's Edicts the  term "cattle/farm animals" reflects
the real economic interests of the Mauryan state. The term "animals"
seems to reflect ideological concerns of the late Western commentators
of the Edicts. There is no indication that Aśoka wanted to
institutionalize the care for the state of health of animals - animals
as such. Including serpents, monkeys, gavials and tigers.

[A long time ago I visited the famous Delhi Birds  Hospital. Yes, some
birds were being taken care of there, but none of them predatory or
living on carrion. Wouldn't it be better if the Hospital were named
The Vegan Birds Hospital?]

Regards,

Artur