taxonomy question

Artur Karp karp at UW.EDU.PL
Sat Aug 13 12:13:59 UTC 2011

Aśoka's Edicts again.

Another broad taxonomical division appears in the text of Pillar Edict II.

Delhi-Topra version (Hultzsch,line E): dupada-catupadesu
pakhi-vAlicAlesu vividhe me anugahe kaTe [...].

Amulyachandra Sen's Sanskritized text: dvipada-catuSpadeSu
pakSi-vAricareSu vividhaH mayA anugrahaH kRtaH [...]

- and his translation: "On bipeds and quadrupeds, on birds and aquatic
animals, various benefits have been conferred by me [...]".

It's not clear whether the category "bipeds" includes also monkeys and
apes, and whether animals such as crayfish or water insects are
included in the category of "aquatic animals".

Regards,

Artur Karp