ICCR setting up Sanskrit chair in Cambodia, and cultural centres in SE Asia and elsewhere

Stella Sandahl ssandahl at SYMPATICO.CA
Fri Aug 12 14:16:15 UTC 2011

SCHOLARS BEWARE OF  ICCR!!
It is all well and good that the ICCR is setting up more centres for
Indian studies. But some clarifications are needed. First, the Indian
scholars chosen by ICCR seem to be expected to follow the Government
of India party line. I base this on a recent incident at the
University of Toronto. An ICCR visiting scholar was chairing a talk
about Kashmir by a Kashmiri journalist from Srinagar in early April.
Since this kind of seminar is open to the public, several Kashmiri
pandits, i.e. de facto Hindutva supporters attended and began to
shout down the speaker. The chair calmly tried to tell them that this
was an academic, not political  event, but to no avail. The
discussion had to be cut short due to these interruptions.
Furthermore, the chair received a strongly worded rebuke from the
Indian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Delhi, accusing her of taking
sides against India, which was certainly not the case. The chair of
the Asian Centre at UofT protested, but to my knowledge the ministry
issued no apology neither to the chair, nor the speaker, nor the UofT.
Furthermore, the visiting ICCR scholar taught one course at our
university during the winter term. The course was duly remunerated in
accordance with Canadian labour laws. However, the ICCR demanded -
and obtained!  - that all this legal remuneration from UofT be
returned to them. Only then did they pay  out the foreign allowance
to the scholar. In other words, the University of Toronto subsidized
ICCR to a tune of some $8000 + a paid for rental apartment (rather
expensive in Toronto). The ICCR merely shelled out only a few hundred
dollars + transport to the visiting scholar. The whole affair made
India look cheap and mean. So much for the rising and shining India!

Stella Sandahl
Department of East Asian Studies
University of Toronto