taxonomy question

Martin Gansten martin.gansten at PBHOME.SE
Fri Aug 5 16:15:58 UTC 2011

The universal Sanskrit dichotomy seems to be moving/nonmoving (carācara,
sthāvara-jaṅgama, etc). In astrological texts one sometimes sees a
division into mineral, vegetable and animal (dhātu, mūla, jīva); but I’m
not sure if that division is indigenous.

Martin Gansten