Re: an āmalakī in the palm of the hand

Martin Straube straube at STAFF.UNI-MARBURG.DE
Fri Apr 29 07:51:39 UTC 2011

Dear Ryan,

This nyāya is quite common and it is used also with other fruits. In
the Mokṣopāya (an older and more genuine Version of the Yogavāsiṣṭha)
both the āmalaka and the bilva fruit are frequently mentioned in this
nyāya -- just one example for both:

yathā karatale bilvaṃ yathā vā parvataḫ puraḥ /
pratyakṣam evam asyālam ajatvaṃ paramātmanaḥ // (III.66.24)

(forthcoming: J. Hanneder, P. Stephan, S. Jager [ed.], Mokṣopāya. Das
dritte Buch. Utpattiprakaraṇa. Kritische Edition. [Anonymus
Casmiriensis: Mokṣopāya. Historisch-kritische Gesamtausgabe unter der
Leitung von Walter Slaje. Textedition. Band 2]. Wiesbaden 2011)

karāmalakavaddṛṣṭasaṃsārāsārasāra he /
jñānāmṛtamahāmbhodhe mune svāgatam astu te // (VI.226.18)

(B. Lo Turco [ed.], Mokṣopāya-Ṭīka of Bhāskarakaṇṭha. The fragments of
the Nirvāṇaprakaraṇa. Critical edition. Halle 2011)

Cf. also Aptes Collection of Popular Sanskrit Maxims (karavinyastabilvanyāya).

Possibly this nyāya is based on the rather big size of the fruits,
perhaps also on their eye-catching colour. In this connection the
following stanza from O. Boehtlingk's „Indische Sprueche“ (No. 2045)
could be interesting:

khalaḥ sarṣapamātrāṇi paracchidrāṇi paśyati /
ātmano bilvamātrāṇi paśyann api na paśyati //

In the first stanza of Subandhus Vāsavadatta even the badara fruit is used
in the same nyāya:

karabadarasadṛśam akhilaṃ bhuvanatalaṃ yatprasādataḥ kavayaḥ /
paśyanti sūkṣmamatayaḥ sā jayati sarasvatī devī //

Best wishes,
Martin

--
Dr. Martin Straube

Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg
Seminar für Indologie
Emil-Abderhalden-Str. 9
D-06099 Halle (Saale)
www.indologie.uni-halle.de