Identification of rivers

James Mallinson jim at KHECARI.COM
Thu Apr 28 13:42:09 UTC 2011

Dear list,

In a chapter on micro/macrocosmic equivalents in the
Siddhasiddhāntapaddhati, which, because of parallel passages in other
works, I suspect has at least a connection with Kashmir, we find the
following list of nine rivers:

pīnasā yamunā gaṅgā candrabhāgā sarasvatī|
vipāśā śatarudrā ca śrīrātriś caiva narmadā ||3.11||

The inclusion of the Candrabhāgā ( = Chenab ) and Vipāśā ( =
Beas ) with the more famous Yamunā, Gaṅgā, Sarasvatī and Narmadā
bolsters the Kashmir hypothesis. I am yet to identify the remaining
three rivers, Pīnasā, Śatarudrā and Śrīrātri. There is a variant
pītāsa for pīnasā and it has been suggested that they might be
corruptions of Vitastā ( = Jhelum). Śatarudrā might be a corruption
of Śatadru ( = Sutlej). I have no ideas for Śrīrātri; if the
emendation Śatadru is correct, the °drā ca could be a corruption of
part of the river’s name.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Yours,

Jim Mallinson