Buddhist monasticism

Walser, Joseph Joseph.Walser at TUFTS.EDU
Wed Apr 6 18:57:46 UTC 2011

I am using a book this semester that does explicitly treat contested masculinities in Tibetan monasticism in Gansu province China. The book is Charlene Makley's The Violence of Liberation: Gender and Tibetan Buddhist Revival in Post-Mao China.  (University of California Press 2007). I am half way through and I have to say that my world is sufficiently rocked.
Hope this helps,

-j

Joseph Walser
Department of Religion
314 Eaton Hall
Tufts University
Medford MA, 02155

-----Original Message-----
From: Indology [mailto:INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Tracy Coleman
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 2:40 PM
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Subject: [INDOLOGY] Buddhist monasticism

Indologists--

I have a student interested in studying Buddhist male monasticism in the present day, preferably Tibetan Buddhism.  She is especially interested in examining monasticism as male culture, so sources that explicitly treat gender would be most welcome.  Ideally, she wants to look at contemporary monks, but studies of this sort that focus on monasticism in earlier historical periods would also be very helpful.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tracy Coleman
Colorado College