Antiquity of the mantra: p ūrṇam ad aḥ pū rṇam idam ...

Deshpande, Madhav mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Sat Apr 2 22:51:18 UTC 2011

Thanks everyone for suggestions regarding the attestations of pūrṇam adaḥ passage.

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104-1608, USA
From: Indology [INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk] On Behalf Of George Thompson [gthomgt at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Saturday, April 02, 2011 6:06 PM
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] Antiquity of the mantra: pūrṇam ad aḥ pū rṇam idam ...

Hello Madhav,

There is also a variant at AVZ 10.8.29 that may be if interest.

George

2011/4/2 Deshpande, Madhav <mmdesh at umich.edu<mailto:mmdesh at umich.edu>>
Dear Colleagues,

    The very popularly recited mantra "pūrṇam adaḥ pūrṇam idam.." occurs as the beginning Śāntimantra for the Īśāvāsya-Upaniṣad.  It came to me as a surprise that Bloomfield's Vedic concordance does not list this among the mantras, nor does Jacob's Concordance of the Upanishads list it.  I was equally surprised that most published editions of the Īśāvāsya-Upaniṣad do not begin with this mantra, but, as expected, they begin with the mantra: īśā vāsyam idam ...   Among the editions I have consulted, only the Ānandāśrama (Pune) edition of the Īśāvāsya-Upaniṣad with Śāṃkarabhāṣya offers this mantra before the text of the Upaniṣad proper, but Śaṃkara does not comment on it, nor does any other commentary that I have seen comment on it.  I am wondering if anyone has seen any research relating to the antiquity of this mantra.  I would be most happy to receive any information on this subject.  Best,

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan