NS? (Re: [INDOLOGY] What about thirty-seven?

Jean-Luc CHEVILLARD jean-luc.chevillard at UNIV-PARIS-DIDEROT.FR
Wed Oct 20 17:10:26 UTC 2010

Dear Matthew Kapstein,

thanks for your comment (and thanks for forwarding Jonathan Silk's
comment)

Adding one more brain-storming style question, I would be interested
in hearing from you or from others about the logic hidden behind the
division of the /Nātyaśāstra/ into 36 chapters or into
37 chapters.

Is it known who preferred having 36 chapters and who preferred having
37?

Did the preferrence have anything to do with the religion of the
"editor/transmitter"?

Sorry if all these questions appear idle but I believe that in some
contexts the only way to (discreetly) "make a statement" was to chose
a different number :-)

-- Jean-Luc Chevillard (planet Earth)