help with dates, please

McComas Taylor mccomas.taylor at ANU.EDU.AU
Fri Oct 8 05:18:54 UTC 2010

Dear Colleague,

An excellent student of Sanskrit, Mr Aung Than of Sydney, has asked for
some help with dates:

"I would like to ask you some questions if you can help me. Some time we
can find some writing for year or date as below, where can I find
the information about the numbers used in the word form.

sindhu bindu veda candra shAka
bAna bAna veda candra shAka
mahi sindhu bhuta indu shAka
shAka = shakabdA (shAka era)
I could guess sindhu (sapta sindhu) = 7, bindu (dot) = 0, veda (catur
veda) = 4, bhuta (panca bhuta) = 5,
indu = candra = ?
bAna = ?
mahi = ?"

Is there some kind person out there who can help out?

Yours

McComas

--
Dr McComas Taylor

Tel: +61 2 6125 3179
Fax: +61 2 6125 8326

Email: mccomas.taylor at anu.edu.au
http://tinyurl.com/38cj94n
Location: Room E4.24 Baldessin Precinct Building