Raining Blood: rudhiravar ṣa

Som Dev Vasudeva somadevah at MAC.COM
Tue Nov 16 19:51:10 UTC 2010

Some further references worth pursing:

Atharvavedapariśiṣṭas.txt:3860: (AVParis_72,3.4) rajovarṣam upalavarṣaṃ dadhimadhughṛtakṣīravarṣaṃ majjārudhira varṣati /
The same but cited with variants in the Kauśikapaddhati :13870:yadapi pariśiṣṭeṣu paṭhyate sarve gṛhe praviṣṭe sarvamevālpakaṃ dṛṣṭvā sarvasammito vāyuṃ sambhrame udakaprādurbhāve gamaneṣu dhanuḥsandhyolkāḥ pariveṣāḥ vidyuddaṇḍāśaniparipraparighārddhe nirghāte rajovarṣa-upalavarṣadakṣimadhughṛtavarṣamajjārudhiravarṣatihīnagabhastī dve mārge vidyut vittakṣaye somasya kṣaye pūrṇapūraṇe kṣayasyavabhāsā sadyopararātrādi digdāhopadhūpanagrahavaiṣamyamārohaṇamākramaṇaṃ gandharvanagaramārutaprakopaḥ tithikaraṇamuhūrtanakṣatrayogadhruvakakāni grahādīnāṃ samaviyogaḥ /

Rāmāyaṇa 6.115.22ab: rajovarṣaṃ samudbhūtaṃ paśya vālukinīṃ prati /

Rājataraṅgiṇī of Śrīvara 1:1059: vṛṣṭyā saha rajovarṣam apatad gaganād bhuvi /

There are also substantial discussions of clouds in works of Kṛṣiśāstra see Wojtilla, Gyula, 2006 “History of Kṛṣiśāstra, a History of Indian Literature on Traditional Agriculture.” One such work I recently had the fortune to read that has abundant discussions of seasonal rainfall and prognostication was the Kṛśikarmavivecana. It seemed quite closely related to the little studied genre of “Tantric meteorology” such as can be found in the Bhairavīyameghamālā, that it might even be best identified as a separate genre: Tantric agriculture (?). I remember seeing an MS of this in the Wellcome Institute in London but cannot now find my photocopies of it.

Best,

Somadeva Vasudeva