Brahmins as Musicians

Walter Slaje slaje at T-ONLINE.DE
Sat May 8 13:24:01 UTC 2010

Śrīvara, the Kashmirian court Pandit of Sultan Zayn (r. AD 1418/20-1470),
was a noted Brahmin musician. His Rajatarangini (ed. Kaul 1966) abounds in
references to musical performances, of which the one quoted below
(1.4.34-36) deserves particular attention:

[34][Being myself] an expert in music of all kinds, I took an [ordinary]
gourd lute in my hand [and] by playing it displayed my skills in new musical
modulations. [35]Others such as Ǧa‛far [joined in] also and sang difficult
Turkish tunes with me accompanied by the lute, in front of the Sulṭān.
[36]While we were singing a song in twelve [different] modes in the
assembly, the tones [formed] from strings and voices seemed to reach perfect
harmony out of [mutual] affection.

As to the Gitagovinda, cp. 1.5.99f:

[99]He then embarked on a boat surrounded by five or six boatswains and
sailed out to Lake [Kramasaras], taking Bhaṭṭa Siṃha and me along with him.
[100]When I sang the Sulṭān songs from the Gītagovinda [there], he became
immersed in love for Kṛṣṇa on listening to them, overcome with the
particular sentiment [corresponding to my recital].

Lake Kramasaras is mod. Konsar Nag (elevation c. 15,000 feet) below
Naubandha Peak on the Pir Pantsal.

Best, WS