host gift

Ashok Aklujkar ashok.aklujkar at UBC.CA
Fri May 7 17:13:19 UTC 2010

The terms upahaara and upaayana would come closest. I did not have time to
check if they occur in Dharma-;saastra literature. In a culture in which the
'senior : junior' relationship element is important in many contexts, the
use of such terms will naturally be nuanced, and we are unlikely to find a
term that fits all contexts (compare the case of 'thank you').

ashok aklujkar