Moksa/Nirvana

mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Mar 23 08:18:53 UTC 2010

it is perhaps worthwhile to stress in this connection that the authors Prof.
Friedlander cites followed on the heels of the Buddhist dohas and
caryapadas, in which the insistence on the nondifferenciation of samsara
and nirvana no doubt contributed to the thematization of nirvana as
equivalent to jivanmukta. The Buddhist dohas were of course in their turn
drawing on well known Madhyamaka doctrine, but perhaps with a more
experiential accent than one finds in the philosophical literature.