trivalI in compounds

girish jha jhakgirish at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 20 18:15:45 UTC 2010

Dear colleagues,
It is noteworthy that  trivalī can’t be formed as a samāhāra Compound.  If we try to form it by Pān.ini  2.1.51 taddhitārthottarapadasamāhāre ca the derivation will be tisr.n.ām valīnam samāhārah.
1.The samāsa is  ordained by 2.1.51,
2.it is characterized as  dvigu by 2.1.52 sankhyāpurvo dviguh.After that
3.it takes singular by 2.4.1 dvigur ekavacanam and   neuter gender by 2.4.17 sa napumsakam.
As a result  trivali a neuter –gender Compound word ending in short /i/ is formed.
Now we cannot replace the short vowel of trivali by long one by any of the three gan̦asūtras relating to
4.1.45  bahvādibhyaś ca  as the sutra  4.1.14 anupasarjanāt   recurs  there.     vali is an upasarjana as a compound form.We can’t convert it into a feminine form as only a dvigu  ending in /a/ can be in feminine by prescribing   ṅīp  by 4.1.21 dvigoh.  As such we will have to convert vali into valī and then trivalī may be formed by  the vārttika śākapārthivadinam siddhaya  uttarapadalopasyopasamkhyānam[sākapriyah pārthivah śākapārthivah]and the derivation will be triparimitā valī  trivalī.
GIRISH K. JHA
SANSKRIT,PATNA UNIVERSITY

--- On Thu, 3/18/10, Dipak Bhattacharya <dbhattacharya2004 at YAHOO.CO.IN> wrote:

From: Dipak Bhattacharya <dbhattacharya2004 at YAHOO.CO.IN>
Subject: Re: trivalI in compounds
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Date: Thursday, March 18, 2010, 10:54 PM

After Jayāditya’s explanation of P.2.1.51 taddhitārthottarapadasamāhāre ca when, of a compound formed after 2.1.50 the final meaning is that of a taddhita suffix or when a third word (uttarapada) follows the compound or when an ensemble is meant one gets a tatpuruṣa compound. This uttarapada compound is different from the uttarapadalopin compound commonly illustrated with siṃhāsana ‘lion (marked)  seat  ie a throne’. Naturally trilokanātha (Kumārasambhava 5.77) has been explained by Mallinātha as an uttarapada compound. This is implied also in the explanation of trilokasaundarya  (5.41).
trivalī  is neither an uttarapadalopin nor an uttarapada compound. An ensemble is meant. Naturally 2.1.50 and 51 are sufficient for forming the compound without invoking the concept of uttarapadalopin.  The gaṇasūtra 50 appended to 4.1.45 takes care of the long ī of words like trivalī.
Best
DB