trivalI in compounds

Dominic Goodall dominic.goodall at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 19 03:24:32 UTC 2010

On the issue of the "proper name"...

Trivalii can be a sa.mj~naa in as much as it names one particular
group of three folds, namely that at the waist, and not just any group
of three folds, for instance on the forehead or behind the knee.

This is presumably Vaamana's point when he applies Paa.nini's rule
diksa.mkhye sa.mj~naayaam (2.1.50).