Wendy Doniger under attack again

Ronald Davidson rdavidson at FAIRFIELD.EDU
Mon Mar 1 12:40:33 UTC 2010

If one examines the names of petitioners, it is clear that at least part of
the impetus for this is drawn from the neo-Vedic crowd that operates under
the WAVES umbrella: http://www.waves-india.com/index.html

Conspicuous (#4 among the petition signers) is T.R. Narasimha Rao, who
chaired the 13th WAVES conference in Dec. 2009 in New Delhi.  He's a
computer scientist at the Center for Advanced Computer Studies, University
of Louisiana, Lafayette, and apparently an emblem of the activism of brahman
NRI-s who have embraced their heritage through the lens of modern Hindutva,
but with the added leverage of contemporary Indian fascination with American
institutions. The document they published on Google.docs
(http://tinyurl.com/yjs3vo3) is a classic statement of their position.

Ronald Davidson
Fairfield University