Text as Saraswati

rajam rajam at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Jul 28 04:55:17 UTC 2010

Dear Stella,

This is news to me! I've never seen a gold toe ring in my old
environments! It shows how disparate things can be in India at a
given time in similar social ethnic backgrounds!

Thanks for the information, and I will check it with my living
"antique" family members! :)

Regards,
Rajam

On Jul 27, 2010, at 9:40 PM, Stella Sandahl wrote:

> [...]
>
>> About "The feet being one of the most impure parts of the body
>> should never touch
>>> sacred items."
>>
>> In this context, it would be interesting also to learn why gold
>> was never worn below waist,
>> at least in some traditional S. Indian environments that I'm
>> familiar with.
>> In my generation, some traditional ornaments such as toe rings or
>> anklets were never made in gold.
>> The only big pomp that would adorn the waist was the "waist-belt"
>> in gold with numerous gems embedded.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Rajam
>>

>> On Jul 27, 2010, at 1:05 AM, (Maitreya) Borayin Larios wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Colleagues,
>>>
>>> This attitude of having respect for book is quite wide-spread in
>>> India and
>>> can be found in several examples, even in bollywood films such as
>>> "Swades"
>>> with Shahrukh Khan.
>>> The respect and even veneration of scriptures and books is of
>>> course more
>>> intense if they are "holy" (manuscripts of the Vedas or the
>>> Bhagavadgītā for
>>> example).
>>> In most of the Vedic schools I visited for my fieldwork the books or
>>> manuscripts were wrapped in silk and handled with great care. If
>>> touched
>>> with the feet by mistake they would also touch the book with
>>> their hands and
>>> then either their chest or their head in sign of respect. They
>>> also do this
>>> when they accidentally touch a person by mistake with their feet.
>>> The explanation I received is also that the goddess Sarasvatī
>>> abides in the
>>> books in the form of knowledge and therefore should be treated
>>> like the
>>> goddess herself. The annual Sarasvatī Pūja in Vasant Pañcami in
>>> which
>>> scriptures and books are worshiped along with the goddess also
>>> attest of
>>> this bibliolatry.
>>> The feet being one of the most impure parts of the body should
>>> never touch
>>> sacred items. Some people (particularly Brahmins) even recite a
>>> śloka every
>>> morning asking for forgiveness to "mother earth" for stepping on
>>> her.
>>> There may be more scholarly work written specifically on this
>>> subject, but I
>>> can recommend two articles. The first one addressing Speech as
>>> Sarasvatī
>>> called "Vāg vai Sarasvatī" by Usha Choudhuri found in the book
>>> "Veda as
>>> Word" edited by Shashiprabha Kumar; the second one is "Purāṇa
>>> as Scripture:
>>> From Sound to Image of the Holy Word in the Hindu Tradition" by
>>> M. Brown
>>> which deals with the veneration of scripture. This is the link to

>>> Germany
>>> Mobile:(+49)1707366232
>>> http://www.sai.uni-heidelberg.de/abt/IND/mitarbeiter/larios/
>>> larios.php