Text as Saraswati

rajam rajam at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Jul 27 01:38:39 UTC 2010

yes, this is a gesture to offer some kind of a "symbolic apology."

I don't know when this practice started or about any scholarly
discussion on this subject, but I know that such practice is
widespread in many families that I know of in South India, sometimes
to the extreme. I do it even now in a different country! It's
somewhat a reflex action. When growing up, a cousin of mine (must be
70+ now; so gentle-kind-hearted from childhood) used to
"symbolically" apologize even to objects that were not books if he
unintentionally came into contact with them by foot. Come to think of
it, perhaps this is why in South India the day of "aayuta pooja" is
observed -- in order to celebrate the "tools of trade."

Regards,
V.S. Rajam