Workshops on Logic in India and the West

Valerie J Roebuck vjroebuck at MACUNLIMITED.NET
Fri Jan 29 06:27:45 UTC 2010

I have been asked to forward information about a
workshop likely to be of interest to many on the
List. The email contact is <mhgorisse at gmail.com>.
Apologies for cross-posting.

Valerie J Roebuck

Dialogues and Games: Historical Roots and Contemporary Models.
Monday, the 8th and Tuesday, the 9th February
University of Lille 3, France

This workshop is completely organized by the ILLC
(University of Amsterdam) as part of the
activities of the prgram EUROCORES
<http://www.esf.org/index.php?id=3241>LOGICCC and
of the informal working group
<http://www.illc.uva.nl/medlogic/DDAHL/index.html>DDAHL.
They are hosted in Lille by STL.

Studies in the history of logic have shown that
the medieval traditions, both in western Europe
and in India, have many distinctive dialogical
and epistemological characteristics. As a result,
they have much more in common with each other
than they do mathematical logic of the 1950's.
Recently, it has become apparent that these
shared characteristics can be fruitfully modeled
in the context of modern developments in logic,
which are dynamic and dialogical in flavor.

We believe that investigating the common
properties of these two historical approaches can
advance our understanding of these philosophical
and historical traditions with the help of recent
technical advances in dialogical and game
semantics and dialogue games. The purpose of this
workshop is to bring together researchers from
both the philosophical and technical traditions
to provide a spring-board for collaboration and
potential cross-discipline applications, allowing
people working in both historical traditions, the
Western and the Indian, to gain knowledge of
current modeling techniques and those on the
technical side access to new problems and
theories to model.

The four fields that we intend to represent are:

- the dialogical tradition in logic in India
(Claus Oetke and Marie-Hélène Gorisse)
- obligationes in medieval Western logic ( Aude Popek and Sara Uckelman)
- dialogical semantics and dialogue models (Luca
Tranchini, Nicolas Maudet and Tero Tulenheimo)
- and games for dialogues and semantics (Daniele Porello and Pietro Galliani).

For further informations:
<http://www.illc.uva.nl/medlogic/DDAHL/DiG.html>http://www.illc.uva.nl/medlogic/DDAHL/DiG.html
Wishing to meet you in Lille,
With best regards,