kashyap as default gotra (ritual manual?)

Benjamin Slade ingeardagum at YAHOO.CO.UK
Wed Jan 6 14:32:23 UTC 2010

Dean Michael Anderson <eastwestcultural at YAHOO.COM> said:
> I don't have a textual reference but it is common in modern India that converts to Hinduism of European heritage are told to take Kashyapa as their gotra. I have seen them use it in
> rituals performed in very traditional contexts and it was accepted.> Of course, many Hindus of Indian heritage also have Kashyapa as their gotra.

Yes, Kashyapa seems to be the gotra taken by European-heritage Hindus, but this seems to be a specific instance of a more general rule rather than a recently-devised practice specifically for handling European converts. As I recall, Kashyapa is the gotra used if the father's gotra is unknown (which obviously could apply in variety of circumstances). And assignment of a gotra to converts from Islam would have been important in earlier times as well.

I'm still curious though about the textual attestations of/justifications for this practice, if anyone has any further information.

best,
Benjamin Slade
Dept. of Linguistics
[ http://www.jnanam.net/slade/ ]

Stæfcræft & Vyākaraṇa (lingblog) - http://staefcraeft.blogspot.com

 प॒रो ऽक्ष॑कामा॒ हि दे॒वाः
   'The gods love the obscure.' (Śatapathabrāmaṇa 6.1.1.2)