Well, mzybe not so cool: Sanskrit script?

Walter Slaje slaje at T-ONLINE.DE
Tue Jan 5 21:29:06 UTC 2010

> The interesting question is: why did the situation under Dogra rule
> change? My guess is that the Sanskritists of Kashmir simply wanted to join
> the newly established convention in British India, because they recognized
> its usefulness.

Possibly, although it is always somewhat difficult to guess intentions of
Sanskritists - if I may have this little joke.
Judging from harder facts, i.e. from concomitant religious and politicial
changes, the Dogras re-established Hindu rule in Kashmir only after c. 500
years of Muslim and c. 30 years of Sikh rule. It is likely that in its wake
also the influx of Hindu texts from India proper written in Devanagari
increased considerably, from which a local shaping, known as "Kashmir
Devanagari", developed.

Best,
WS

------------------------------
Prof. Dr. Walter Slaje
Hermann-Löns-Str. 1
D-99425 Weimar
(Germany)
www.indologie.uni-halle.de

Ego ex animi mei sententia spondeo ac polliceor
studia humanitatis impigro labore culturum et provecturum
non sordidi lucri causa nec ad vanam captandam gloriam,
sed quo magis veritas propagetur et lux eius, qua salus
humani generis continetur, clarius effulgeat.
Vindobonae, die XXI. mensis Novembris MCMLXXXIII.