Sanskrit script?

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya2004 at YAHOO.CO.IN
Fri Jan 1 14:34:58 UTC 2010

Interesting! I did not know of the use of Lan-tsha outside Nepal. P.C.Bagchi reported some Chinese examples too, now kept with the library here in published form. But their use too in north India is not known to me. Anyway, thanks for reminding of the Lan-tsha. It is not impossible that I missed a few others too. But the distinction between the Hindi script and the Sanskrit still eludes. Best wishes! Has the discussion gone too far?
DB
Visva Bharati University, Santiniketan

--- On Fri, 1/1/10, mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU <mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU> wrote:

From: mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU <mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU>
Subject: Sanskrit script?
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Date: Friday, 1 January, 2010, 7:47 PM

Ranjana ("Lan tsha" in Tibetan), used as an ornamental script
in Nepal and perhaps to some extent elsewhere in the north,
may qualify as a dedicated Sanskrit script. I am
not familiar, at least, with its use for other
languages.

Matthew T. Kapstein
Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies
The University of Chicago Divinity School

Directeur d'études
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris