INDOLOGY FAQ. Re. Varanasi

Benjamin Slade ingeardagum at YAHOO.CO.UK
Wed Feb 17 20:15:37 UTC 2010

The pronunciation of "f" for "ph" is a wide-spread phenomenon among (some) speakers of Indo-Aryan languages; e.g. Hindu/Urdu _phal_ "fruit" is sometimes rendered by native Hindi speakers as _fal_, _phir_ "then" as _fir_, _phul_ "flower" rendered as _ful_ (Hindi films like to play with the resulting homophony with the English borrowing _ful_ "fool"...).

As far as I can tell, these are all hypercorrections: Indo-Aryan languages don't 'natively' possess the phone "f", but many borrowings from Perso-Arabic (and, later, of course, English) do, e.g. Hindi _faislaa_ "decision" (< Persian), _fon_ "phone" (from English). Speakers of rural dialects tend to approximate all of these "f"s as "ph"s, thus _phaislaa_, _phon_. More 'sophisticated' speakers usually render these properly as "f"s, but sometimes at the cost of 'converting' all "ph"s to "f"s: thus _fal_ for _phal_, _ful_ for _phul_ etc.
Benjamin Slade
Dept. of Linguistics

email: bslade at illinois.edu
website: http://www.jnanam.net/slade/
lingblog: Stæfcræft & Vyakarana - http://staefcraeft.blogspot.com

________________________________
From: Herman Tull <hwtull at MSN.COM>
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Sent: Wed, 17 February, 2010 13:03:00
Subject: Re: INDOLOGY FAQ. Re. Varanasi

This is irresistible, but speaking of "h"-s there is that little matter of the transformation of the Sanskrit "s" to the Persian "h"--not an "error" at all, or is it?

And, these lines, I always take pains to teach students to pronounce "phala" with an aspirated "p" sound, and not to confuse it with the "f" sound that is represented by "ph" in English (as in "nephew").  This year, however, I have a student (a native Bengali speaker) who pronounces it as as "fala".  I hesitate to "correct" him (I spend enough time trying to "get" his pronunciation of initial "a"-s which, of course, he pronounces [as do tens of millions of his countrymen] as "o-s").  When we discussed this, he cheerfully informed me that we really never can be sure exactly how native Sanskrit speakers pronounced their words.

By the way, I've brought to the attention of my introductory Sanskrit class some of the central elements of this topic (no names of course).  It led to a lively class discussion--in fact, much to my regret (and my students' glee), we barely had time for our translation work.

regards,

Herman