RES: INDOLOGY FAQ. Re. Varanasi

Adriano Aprigliano aprigliano at USP.BR
Wed Feb 17 15:36:00 UTC 2010

Dear colleagues

Answering Gary Tubb's question, in portuguese the stress in America is on the e, following the original italian of Americo Vespucci. I think the hindi pronunciation should probably have been modeled on the arabic amriikaa.

Best
Adriano Aprigliano
Universidade de São Paulo
Brasil

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Indology [mailto:INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk] Em nome de Gary Tubb
Enviada em: quarta-feira, 17 de fevereiro de 2010 12:06
Para: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Assunto: Re: INDOLOGY FAQ. Re. Varanasi

Dominik, we may be dealing here with, more precisely, English word
rhythm choices earmarked for attacking foreign words.  In speaking to
earlier generations of students, I used to call this the "Art Fleming
syndrome."  Art Fleming was the host of the television quiz show
"Jeopardy" throughout most of the '60's and '70's, and among his many
charms was the notorious practice of pronouncing every unfamiliar
foreign word as if it were Spanish (actually Spanish with an American
English accent, which would have him pronounce words like Ramayana and
Mahabharata with the stress on the penultimate syllable, but with a
non-Spanish reduction of the preceding vowel).  Mr. Fleming did this
with such confidence (following the advice of another great American
showman, P.T. Barnum: "If you don't know how to pronounce a word, say it
LOUD") that he probably helped millions feel reassured in indulging the
same instinct.

What causes speakers of North Indian languages such as Hindi to make a
similar shift in some English place names, such as "amriikaa" for
"America"?  Has Portuguese or some other language intervened in the
history of this word?

--G.