INDOLOGY FAQ. Re. Varanasi

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya2004 at YAHOO.CO.IN
Mon Feb 15 17:02:35 UTC 2010

True. But¨Indians speak and teach wrong English¨ is too often heard. I am witness to that: The observation, as far as my experience goes, concerns only pronunciation. Objecting to or making fun of alien pronunciation is universal. Usually offence is not meant:
DB

--- On Mon, 15/2/10, mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU <mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU> wrote:

From: mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU <mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU>
Subject: Re: INDOLOGY FAQ. Re. Varanasi
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Date: Monday, 15 February, 2010, 10:22 PM

Isn't every one being a bit too precious about all this?
What do French speakers do with English names?
What does everyone do with Chinese?
How many of us get our Arabic quite right?
Not to mention Thai, Tibetan or Khmer...

The idea that one is going to launch a campaign to
rectify the massacre of Indian names and terms in
English is plain silly when you think about it.

Matthew

Matthew T. Kapstein
Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies
The University of Chicago Divinity School

Directeur d'études
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris