Fwd: King's College Palaeography

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 15 04:45:01 UTC 2010

Dear colleague,

News is circulating that the Chair of Palaeography at King's College London,
David Ganz, is about to lose his job since KCL is in the process of
eradicating 22 jobs in a manner that appears crude and inefficient.

Teaching staff at KCL have raised the idea of college-wide salary reductions
as a way of saving actual jobs and avoiding cuts like this, but at a meeting
last week the college management dismissed such a collegial approach on the
grounds that it was "not progressive".

Here is part of the text from the Facebook page (see link below for full
information):

King’s College London is undertaking what they call ‘strategic
> disinvestment’ and have informed our colleague, David Ganz, on Tuesday that
> funding for the Chair in Palaeography will cease from 31 August this year,
> when David will be out of a job. This is part of a wider context whereby all
> academic staff in the School of Arts and Humanities at King’s have to
> re-apply for their own jobs before the 1st March. They think this the “most
> humane way” of losing 22 academic posts.
>

> KCL's Chair is the only established chair in Palaeography in the UK (held
> by our late members Julian Brown and Tilly de la Mare). I am, naturally,
> writing on behalf of the Committee to express dismay at the loss of the
> Chair but the more people who write in protest the better.
>

> The person to write to is: Professor Rick Trainor, The Principal, King’s
> College, The Strand, London WC2R 2LS and copy to Professor Jan Palmowski,
> Head of the School of Arts and Humanities."

Fuller details are available at:

   - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=303202385890&ref=share

And the link below leads to an easy online system for signing a petition
about this matter:

   - http://www.petitiononline.com/spkcl10/

--
Dominik Wujastyk